So I was more of a fan of Ariana’s acting career than I am her singing career. Her voice is one of the best I have heard in a long time it’s just that her songs haven’t really connected with me. I have only pre-heard two songs off of this album being, thank u, next, and 7 Rings. I have already commented on 7 Rings, which you can see on last week’s singles post so I am going to skip that one.
- imagine- I think over time her voice has gotten more nasally than I know it to be. She still sounds really good, her whistle notes are incredible. This is a nice song. The instrumentals aren’t anything that I haven’t heard before though. I do like Ariana I just think that she can do much better.
- needy- Okay I couldn’t get through this entire song only due to the fact that there is a very loud metronome type sound that never stops. I could feel a headache coming on. I honestly couldn’t focus on anything else.
- NASA- This is a more subdued song than I was expecting. The vocals are really pretty. The NASA metaphor isn’t all that creative but it works. It’s a cute song.
- bloodline- This is really fun. The instrumentals are kind of jazzy yet poppy at the same time. Ariana’s vocals are beautiful and I love the lyrics. I enjoy when women take ownership of their sexuality as men have been allowed to do forever. I enjoyed this.
- fake smile- I really like the pre-chorus on this. The song as a whole is chill yet meaningful. She’s really showing her emotions through this song. It’s really smooth.
- bad idea- This is a fun song, her vocals are as expected great. The “Ari-Chan’s” seem weird. Especially with her tattoo controversy. Something about it doesn’t feel right. The song is nice, the outro was unexpected as well. It took a bit of a trap route. It’s okay.
- make up- If you take away Ariana’s vocals it kind of sounds like a trap inspired Teletubbies. The lyrics are kind of eh. It’s a fun play on words, but there isn’t anything about this that stands out all that much.
- ghostin- This is more of a ballad than her other songs. This song is extremely emotional considering what she has been through. Her vocals could have some more emotion in them, but the instrumentals give off enough to make it work.
- in my head- Something that has been in a few of these songs but I haven’t commented on up until this point is the ‘skrrt skrrt’s’ I think they make the songs cheesy and lessen the quality. This particular song is just okay. Nothing is all that creative here.
- 7 rings- I commented on this before so I’m not going to repeat myself.
- thank u, next- I think that this song is good. Her vocals are good as are the instrumentals. This is one of the cases where the music video is better than the actual song.
- break up with your girlfriend, i’m bored- I don’t know how I feel about this. The instrumentals themself are kind of boring, which kind of fits the title. The song is a homewrecker song which I am not really a fan of though I do get the sentiment. It isn’t bad but it’s not for me.
Overall, I think that almost every song had a very similar vibe to the others. I expected her to sound good, which she did. I think that her singles, apart from 7 rings, were the best songs on this album. I’m still a fan, but this didn’t do it for me. I give this a C.